Shopping for a greeting card is always super fun until you actually have to write something for the recipient to read. Although we often think of the graphics as the most important part, sometimes people also like to find a funny, kind, or thoughtful message inside. But let’s be honest, it’s not always easy to put your feelings into words.
Luckily for you, we have created the ultimate guide which contains some really useful ideas for what you can write inside the most popular greeting cards. Whether it’s a funny birthday message for your dad, or a thoughtful wedding message for your friend, we’ve got you covered!
What to write inside a Birthday Card?
Writing a birthday card isn’t always straight forward. It’s important that you consider who the person is and what your relationship is like. Do they have a good sense of humour? Will they appreciate a thoughtful birthday wish?
At Maya Rose Creations, we recommend adding a personal touch to every message. For example, you could mention a special memory that you share with that person. You could also point out some of their best qualities or talk about what you love most about them.
When purchasing our greeting cards, we always give you the option to add a personal message! If you're struggling with that, here are a few of our favourite examples:
Funny Birthday Card Messages
- The Funny, smart, and good-looking brother. Anyways, enough about me. Happy Birthday!
- To my best friend, may your birthday be filled with lots of alcohol and inappropriate texts that you will regret tomorrow!
- Happy Birthday to my craziest friend! Like a fine wine, you improve every year.
- Dear Dad, it's a true sign of ageing when your candles cost more than the cake. Happy Birthday!
- To my ‘big’ sis, remember that growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional!
Punny Birthday card messages - because who doesn’t love a good pun?
- Happy Birthday. writing this card was a piece of cake!
- Happy 18th BEER-thday!
- I don’t want to write a cheesy message, but I hope you have a GRATE birthday.
- You’re only 30, no need to WINE!
- I hate cheesy birthday messages, let’s just cele-GRATE!
Thoughtful Birthday card messages for a friend:
- Friends like you are a rare treasure! Thanks for being you. Happy Birthday!
- To my longest friend, I couldn’t have asked for a better person to grow up with. I hope your birthday is as good as our friendship!
- To my BFF, I can’t find the words to tell you how much I appreciate you. When I’m drunk tonight, I will have a lot more to say!
Thoughtful Birthday card messages for Mums:
- Happy Birthday Mum! Today is all about you. Sit back, relax, and let dad handle everything!
- Happy Birthday to my mum, teacher, and chef all in one! Thanks for all your guidance. You really are the backbone of the family!
- Happy Birthday to my beautiful and talented mum. You’ll be glad to know that I am following in your footsteps!
Thoughtful Birthday card messages for Dads:
- Happy Birthday to the person who has taught me everything I know. Thanks for everything Dad!
- Happy Birthday to my number one fan! Thanks for always supporting me Dad.
- Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks for always being there to lend a helping hand.
Thoughtful Birthday card messages for sons:
- Happy Birthday to a son who is smart, good looking, and funny. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree!
- Happy Birthday to my miracle! There is no better feeling than watching you grow.
- Happy Birthday to a great son. You have definitely kept me on my toes, but I wouldn’t have it any other way!
Thoughtful Birthday card messages for Daughters:
- Happy Birthday to the light of our lives! Thank you for being the kindest daughter we could ever ask for.
- Happy Birthday to our loving Daughter. We are so proud of the woman that you have become.
- Happy Birthday to the princess of the house! We told you to stop growing up so fast, but as usual you didn’t listen!
What to write inside a birthday card for a partner?
Writing a thoughtful message for a family member is one thing. But writing a message for your lover is a completely different game. Unfortunately, “happy birthday” just isn’t good enough!
If your partner’s birthday is soon approaching, you should know that they will expecting a romantic, funny, or lengthy message. See below the best way to wish them a Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday messages for Girlfriend / Wife
- Happy Birthday to the love of my life. Thank you for your patience when I’m playing FIFA all day!
- Happy Birthday to my wonderful girlfriend. So many men envy our relationship, but that’s only because they don’t know how crazy you are…
- Happy Birthday to the sweetest soul on earth. You have been blessed with beauty, brains, and me!
Happy Birthday messages for boyfriend / husband
- Happy Birthday to my loving husband! Today is all about you. So sit back and relax like you always do!
- Happy Birthday to the best boyfriend, I can’t wait to celebrate with you tonight. You’ll be glad to know that dinner is on me!
- Happy birthday to a great husband, I never imagined loving someone who is so annoying!
How to write the perfect wedding card message
Writing a wedding message may be a little trickier as there will be two people reading the card. Although you may be tempted to write “Congratulations to the happy couple”, we can assure you that they will be much more impressed if you use one of the messages that we have listed below:
- Dear Emily and Jack, we are so thrilled that the big day has finally come. Emily, we have talked about this special event for years and I couldn’t be happier that I get to share it with you!
- To our great friends Emily and Jack, we are so happy for you both! Congratulations for making it through the pandemic and finally being able to get married. Thank you for letting us share your special day, we’ve only been waiting 2 years!
- To my little brother and my new sister! I couldn’t be happier for you both. Emily, I wish you all the luck in the world as I know how challenging it is to live with Jack! Only joking, love you both!
- To a beautiful couple, thank you for letting us share your special day. We wish you a long and happy marriage!
- To Jack and Emily, Congratulations on the big day. Thanks for having me as your best man, I can’t wait for you to hear my speech! I wish you a long and happy life together, although I still think Jack is punching!
What to write inside a congratulations card
Life is just one big celebration. Whilst one friend gets a new job, another has just had their first baby. To put it simply, there are A LOT of reasons for us to say congratulations. See below, some of our favourite ways to congratulate your loved ones.
What to write in a card for someone who has passed exams
- Congratulations to the smartest cookie in the jar! You really deserve it after all your hard work! I am super proud of you.
- Congratulations on your graduation and welcome to the real world!
- Well-done smarty pants! I bet you’re glad that Google was always there for you.
Card messages for someone who has passed their driving test
- Well done on learning how to use a car. I think it’s now time for the dishwasher, hoover and washing machine!
- Well done on passing your driving test! I can’t wait for you to pay me back for all those free taxi services!
- Congratulations on getting a license. I guess you’ve had plenty of practise from driving me crazy.
What to write in a new baby card
- Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby! Never take these precious times for granted.
- Congratulations! Say hello to sleepless nights and dirty nappies, you’re going to love them!
- Congrats on creating a little mini you! Now it’s time to see what you put your parents through.
What to write in a new job card
- Congratulations on the new job! I hope your colleagues are as great as you are!
- Good luck with new job. Traitor.
- Good luck finding colleagues as fun as us at your new job!